This year I’ve been trialling the new SylvaGrow Peat-Free Planter vs a bog-standard peat-based growbag, and now I’m pleased to report the results of the trial.
So far the ‘Maghrebi’ tomato plants have been doing well in both the peat-free and peat-based growbags, but neither have been completely problem-free.
This year I’m trialling the new SylvaGrow Peat-Free Planter from Melcourt, alongside a ‘bog-standard’ tomato growbag. Here’s a quick update…
This year I’m trialling the new SylvaGrow Peat-Free Planter from Melcourt, one of which I was very kindly sent for the purpose.
Last weekend I set the planter up in the allotment greenhouse, alongside a control / comparison in the form of a bog-standard growbag…
One thing Jo and I have definitely learned over the last 5 or so years of growing our own fruit and veg from seed: sowing too early rarely rewards you with the early crops you’re hoping for, unless you’re very lucky, or have a very good propagation setup. Yes, it’s tempting to get going just […]
This year we’re growing three Andean tuber crops down on Plot #59: Oca, Yacon and Ulluco. It could also be the last year that we grow the third of that trio. DEFRA – the government’s Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs – have issued a biosecurity warning, because some Ulluco tubers imported into the […]
Over a busy Bank Holiday weekend, Jo and I managed to grab a couple of hours to head down to Plot #59 and do a bit of planting out. First in, Jo’s sunflowers: Jo has grown three varieties this year: ‘Giant Single’, ‘Black Magic’ and ‘Ruby Red’. They might not look like much now, but […]
A year has rolled on by since I posted the first Year in Review piece here on Notes From the Allotment, and a lot has changed down on Plot #59. After three years of hard graft, we’ve finally reached the point where almost the entire plot has been transformed from a weed-choked, debris-strewn nightmare into […]
The weather in our neck of the woods was distinctly variable during March, although thankfully storm Katie largely passed us by. A couple of dry weeks meant I could go full steam ahead on digging and clearing the back section of the plot, for a while. We haven’t worked this bit since we took it […]