Tag: shed

We Have a New Shed

Earlier this week, the lads from Cocklestorm turned up with the best flat-pack kit ever: a 4.8m x 2.4m pent-roofed, heavy duty, custom-spec shed.

Two opening windows, plus doors at either end for extra ventilation (we’ll be using it as a potting shed as well as for storage, once we’ve got everything properly organised). Just right for that blank patch of concrete we’d uncovered by getting rid of the old garage.

Jo and I spent a couple of hours this morning adding a length of guttering to the front edge, which will catch the rain from the roof and (eventually, if we ever have rain in Manchester again) fill the two large water-butts round the back.

I’ll leave you with a few pics. Feel free to experience shed envy to the appropriate degree… 😉

June 2016 New Shed
Fits like a… well, a made-to-measure shed on a pre-existing concrete base.
June 2016 - New Shed from the side
A nice bank of windows for what will eventually become the Potting Shed side.
June 2016 - New Shed Interior
A very roomy interior indeed (or it was, before I back-filled it with all our junk…)

Please Feel Free to Share:


Cottage Garden Project Update: March 2016

Things are still pretty quiet on the cottage garden project front. We’ve been making progress on planning the hard landscaping – which is going to involve a couple of trellises, one or two arches, plenty of board for path-edging and about four tonnes of gravel – and have successfully researched and identified our new shed. That’s the one major change to the old plan since the last update: rather than knock down the old, leaky, asbestos-roofed garage and replace it with a brick-built structure, we’re going to invest in a 4.8m x 2.4m heavy-duty, prefab shed from local specialist supplier Cocklestorm.

In the meantime the pots that we brought with us from the old house and the baskets that Jo planted up last Autumn, have been putting out splashes of Spring colour: irises, snowdrops, hellebores, cyclamen, narcissus, winter pansies, primroses, euphorbia and wallflowers have all been making a contribution to cheering the place up. We’ve also enjoyed a neighbour’s blossoming cherry on one side and t’other neighbour’s white (and only slightly pink) rhodedendron on the other. (Click on the thumbnails below if you’d like to see a larger pic)

Down in the greenhouse, Jo has been pushing ahead with sowing this year’s selection of annuals, some of which will feature in the new cottage garden, others which will be used to brighten up Plot #59. So far, she’s sown (deep breath): sweet peas, French marigold, Osteospermum (a.k.a. daisybush), Didiscus (a.k.a. lace-flower), sweet scabious, viola, sunflower, Gaillardia (a.k.a. blanket flower), Rudbeckia, black-eyed Susan, Tagetes, oriental poppy, evening primrose, Zinnia and snapdragon. And there are plenty more to come.

Jo has a few general rules when choosing her flowers, the first few of which are: 1) they have to be as bee-friendly as possible, 2) and the bugs, and 3) no pink (Jo doesn’t really do pink). Based on the above, and having seen the rest of her to-be-grown list, I know we’re going to have one of the most colourful, bee-attractive plots on the whole allotment site by the middle of Summer, guaranteed.

And I’ve done my bit on the decorative front by potting up our five handsome dahlia tubers to grow on in the greenhouse until the ground is warm enough to plant them out. I’m happy to say that four of them seem to be sprouting nicely, so fingers crossed for a good summer display.

Please Feel Free to Share: